In 1923 the mill was burnt down but replaced the following year by a steel frame and concrete building. The appearance of this building was much criticised and when the mill went out of business in 1972, the building was demolished. The beam pump which was located under the mill was saved and restored in the period 1976-80 by members of Sussex Industrial Archaeology Society.
Watercolour by C. Essenhigh Corke
from a postcard donated by Andy Tate in June 2002
The pump is believed to be the original and is a scheduled as an Ancient Monument. The present iron waterwheel is breast shot and was cast by Robert Chorley at Cocking Ironworks in the mid-19th century.