Sussex Mills Group Web Site - Home Page
Sussex Windmills
Sussex Watermills
Sussex Windmills and Watermills Open to view
Sussex Mill Tours, Meetings, Lectures and other Events
Links to Mills in Sussex and further afield
Sussex Mills Group Contacts
Site Map of Sussex Mills Group Web Site
Sussex Mills Group
IL 1831
Sussex Mills Group
Sussex Mills Group
Sussex Mills Group
Sussex Mills Group

Website Design : Simon PotterOn 30th September 2004 the rescued machinery of Jolesfield Windmill was transported from its resting place nearby Gatwick Manor Hotel to the site of Lowfield Heath Windmill in Charlwood.

Sussex Mills Group logo

Sussex Mills Group

The eight rack segments of the cap curb ring were reassembled around the iron windshaft and the worm gear positioned accordingly. The iron wallower has been sited just to the side of the windshaft so that the remains of the upright shaft, complete with cross tailed gudgeon bearing, could be inserted. The one remaining French Burr stone has been reassembled and banded. Stone spindles and other parts have been laid around.

Rescued machinery of Jolesfield Windmill

This forms a very interesting exhibit and is a chance to examine close up some otherwise inaccessible machinery. There is a display board giving a more detailed history together with a description of the method of construction and machinery and photographs tracing her history over the last 75 - 100 years.

Jolesfield Windmill stood in the village of Littleworth, near Partridge Green [TQ191205] for over 150 years before she was bought in 1959 for the sum of 250 by Mr. Nevvar Hickmet, the owner of Gatwick Manor Hotel. He intended to dismantle the mill methodically and move her to his hotel at County Oak, where she was to be rebuilt as a electricity generator and an added attraction at the hotel. He estimated this would cost 5,000 to 10,000. The building work was completed in about 1965 but the external appearance of the new building bore little resemblance to the original mill, or indeed to a windmill at all. The machinery was not reinstalled but was put on display near the hotel car park where the wooden upright shaft and great spur wheel gradually rotted away.

Jolesfield Windmill Jolesfield Windmill

Jolesfield Windmill was an eight-sided tarred smock mill with an unusually shaped cap(dome with pent house). She was last worked by George Knight in 1928. In her later working life she had double shuttered patent sweeps of about 65ft diameter. She had a wooden brakewheel, upright shaft and great spur wheel, the remainder of her main gearing being cast iron. The sweeps drove four pairs of stones, two peak and two burr.

[Extracted from the Friends of Lowfield Heath Windmill newsletter No.20]    Windmill Tour

Further information

Sussex Mills Group