The mill was built in 1851 and was originally water powered. However this was not successful due to water supply problems filling a small millpond.
It was decided to construct a windmill on a flat roof of an extension to the watermill to supplement the water power.
Eventually both methods were abandoned and steam was introduced to drive the mill, but even this could not provide a viable business venture, so the mill closed down in 1890.
Some remains of the mill can still be seen on the opposite side of the road from Hooker's Farm, hence its name.
Members of Sussex Mills Group visited the site on 8th April 2006. The site was overgrown with trees and vegetation, although some of the walling remained.